Monday, July 4, 2016

Fieldwork...ummm... Fourth?

So here I am, less than 48 hours from departure for several teaching gigs on the east coast. The to-do list is FINALLY in the single digits (although it keeps wavering up a few tasks and then coming back down again), and my house is a riot of indecisive packing. I have only two small "carry-on"-sized suitcases and six weeks of gear to take for multiple events. Last week I shipped two small boxes of workshop materials... and it looks like tomorrow I'll have to ship one more. Ooph.

Yesterday, however, I was feeling secure enough about my available time (prematurely, it turns out) to take a little hike up a favorite local trail, Greens Creek. It's lovely and lush in there right now, and we got out early enough that my friend and I were headed back down the trail before we encountered the steady stream of weekend adventurers.

The hike inspired some field sketches of blooming flora.... hooray! It's been too long.

I intended to create the aforementioned sketches in my journal before I realized I didn't have a current one! I did the little watercolors on loose sheets and then spent all last evening making a new journal for them. Because I have time for that sort of thing right now.

New pages, new journal. Embiggenable with a click.

The good news is that by taking time to do some fieldwork and build a new journal I feel more like myself than I have in a long time. The less-good news is that it might mean I don't get another color on the lino before I leave. But going back to the good news: I'm close enough to departure that I've almost reached that "no-more-time-let-it-all-go" stage. Almost.

I didn't just build a new book, I built a PRETTY new book.

The leather needs to relax a bit, but since it's about to get crushed in a suitcase I'm not worried.

Is it any wonder I got inspired?


Greens Creek, or Green Creek, or Green's Creek, depending on which map you consult.

In the high desert, lush riparian areas like this are just YUMMY.
It rained the night before, so everything looked extra-rich.

10 comments:

  1. Could I arrange a transfusion from you, Please.I have the same number of hours in a day, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that I have a tendency to cram too much into too many days and then collapse. Moderation is elusive...

      Delete
  2. Wow! Nice job on the beautiful new journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! It makes me happy to have a new one ready for the weeks ahead.

      Delete
  3. I love your writing style and always read your posts for inspiration and humor. Thanks for reminding us that life is supposed to be fun(ny)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I think I've mentioned before, a friend once gave me a mug that says something to the effect of "It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others." Well, of COURSE. ;-)

      Delete
  4. you need to just say screw it and take a break, and it looked like this break did you good :) well maybe until the list goes back to double digits ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list continues to descend, and I'm less than 24 hours from departure. "Fugidaboudit" is near!

      Delete
  5. Your fieldwork sketches look like a botanical textbook only lovelier and original. Huh? That's supposed to be a huge compliment. You are truly an inspiration. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...