Thursday, January 30, 2014

Linocut in Progress: No more mystery- Mostly

I admit it, I got a good chuckle out of responses to my linocut doggerel. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) the poetry muse has gone on walkabout today, so it's back to pointing out the obvious for me.

Step 2: A pale blue streak
Oh wait. Ha! The second step, post-rectangle, was NOT obvious. In fact it was barely discernable. In this shot of the left-hand side of the image you might barely be able to pick out a pale blue streak just above center. The entire image looks blotchy, but it's really not. I think it's a function of dodgy lighting and dodgier photography. But that was it, Step 2. I thought about not putting this step in at all, but what the heck. Can't hurt.

And now the third step. It's rather disappointing that so much is revealed at this point... you know how much I enjoy teasing you... but a second, warmer gray was appropriate to every aspect of the block, so on it went.

I hope that my shape-carving suggests the jizz (GISS) of our subject(s) well enough for some keen birders to name the species. That little chunk of pale, pale blue doesn't seem to be causing any problems and will hopefully contribute to the sense of depth I'm aiming for in this image.

Step 3: Bird species ID quiz will now commence.
And okay... I might as well bring you completely up to speed. I took the same gray, added a pinch of brown, and voila! The topmost rocks begin to come into view.

Step 4: Got that species sorted out yet?
The next steps will take me out of the gray realm for a bit, which I'm looking forward to. You can no doubt tell that our avian chums are standing on a big chunk of rock... but if I tell you the tide was low can you guess what color might be next?

2 comments:

  1. I wondered aloud to my husband once, why Cormorants stand around with their wings out like that all the time. Without missing a beat, he said, "They're exhibitionists".

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...