Sunday, May 26, 2013

Linocut in progress: Columbine

There's been a bit of steamroller postpartum here at Brush and Baren. I've been looking through sketchbooks and photos on a quest for a new, strong linocut image and coming up short. It all seems so... pedestrian.

When I'm feeling a little "stuck" like this it sometimes helps to work on something smaller, less intimidating. Something I can experiment with and stumble around with until I get my groove back.

Enter the columbine, in 5 x 7 format.

Step 1

The blue columbine (Aquilegia coerulea) is Colorado's state flower and the namesake for everything from bike shops and dental offices to a high school and its tragedy. I hadn't considered that when I started this piece, but given that it's Memorial Day weekend here in the US perhaps it's appropriate for more than just a creative jumpstart.



Step 2
Step 3

5 comments:

  1. It's lovely already. Sweet, Sherrie. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tire of watching your prints progress. Step one to step two is particularly amazing -- dimension appears so suddenly. Beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...