Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Okay, back to work. Sorta.


Well, I had intended to pull the first color (I think there will only be two) on this little linocut tomorrow morning, but I have just discovered that I do not have enough of the paper I need. (The stack I had set aside was only the right paper for the first 5 sheets... something else underneath it. Dang it.)

So. Only posting the plate this time, carved and waiting for the first color to print. A small image, 6x6 inches. I'm aiming for a couple of pieces for a national small print exhibition which juries at the beginning of April. Not off to a good start if I don't have the right paper!

On the topic of which: It's not like I don't have paper. Much to the contrary. I have oodles of paper. Drawing paper. Watercolor paper. Glassine. Tracing. Newsprint. I even have printmaking paper, and some stuff I can no longer identify, which is too bad because I like it for drawings.

But what I DON'T have are enough sheets of beautiful Hosho... a bright white Japanese kozo paper. I love this stuff for hand-pulling, and I know several people who also use it with great success on a press. If you're shopping for it, I recommend the "professional" grade over the "student." I'm actually wishing right now that I could give a try to this beautiful hand made version, but it's not in the budget for this particular project. When I've got the right image in mind, though.... ooooooooooooooh!

4 comments:

  1. I love this image and am eager to see what you do with it.

    (I like its monochrome quality too but it was so exciting to see the ponderosa emerge from its chrysalis I'm going to trust this will be just as wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks interesting :)

    lino is my least successful printmaking medium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to your blog and love your work.
    I am looking forward to seeing your first pull from this lino cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paper order is supposed to arrive Wednesday, so the first (of, I think, only 2) colors will go down on Thursday morning! Yippee!

    Thanks for checking in with it, Pica, Vivien and Toni! It's been great to pop over and check on you from time to time, too!

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...