Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Secrets and Rectangles

Okay then...

Secret things have been happening in the studio this week, in anticipation of the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum's Project Postcard event during this year's Birds in Art opening. This will be the fifth year in which BIA artists have contributed 4" x 6" images which are offered to reception-goers for a flat $50 each. The trick is that the works are hung all together in a "secret" room and buyers can't see them ahead of time. Ticket holders enter the room one at a time and have something like 2 minutes in which to make their choice. Works are NOT identified on the front... all artist signatures are on the back... so it's a bit of a game.

Proceeds from Project Postcard are used by the museum to purchase works from the Birds in Art exhibition for their permanent collection... a win-win-win! I was honored to have my linocut, Ripples, added to the Woodson collection via Project Postcard in 2011... and I'm always delighted to share that joy with my fellow artists by contributing to the event.

SO. I made two little single-color, hand-painted (what?) linocuts for this year's event. Of course I am sworn to secrecy, but I saw another artist share her "postcard" image with the help of some Photoshop distortion... so here's a sneak almost-peek for you:


Kind of fun... I've actually never played with the "twirl" filter in Pshop... there's definitely some interesting lino potential there...

With that little task finished I can finally turn my attention to something that I can share with you... although at the moment it's pretty seriously uninteresting. Even with "artistic" photo composition.


Yep. Gray rectangle. Again. I'm honestly not sure where this is going. I know what the subject is, but I haven't yet resolved the background in my mind. We'll just have to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...